Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Peter Gabriel "Games Without Frontiers" Remix Attempt


Peter Gabriel through his organization "RealWorld" is offering his song "Games Without Frontiers" to be remixed in honor of this Summer's X Games.

PG has been a tremendous influence on many artists, in many genres. He has been a major influence of mine since I was a young teenager. I can honestly say it was a direct result of his experimental and unique approach to music that introduced me to more eclectic tastes in music.

Real Word has made the individual tracks of the original recording available for download to be used in remixing. Everything from PG's vocals to the individual lead lines and bass parts.

So I've taken the challenge and have begun working on my own rendition of his song as of last night. Unfortunately the contest deadline is July 15th, and I only found out two days ago that it began in early June! I cannot say I may make the deadline in time, but at the very least I'm going to give me best to honor the song and pay tribute to one of my all time artistic hero's.

I have never really considered doing a remix of an existing work aside from perhaps recreating some songs to play for my own enjoyment. So my approach to this is part experiment and part bliss! This was the first Gabriel song I ever heard. I fell in love with it the first time I listened to it while waiting in my mom's car as she ran into the grocery store.

I am purposely staying away from remixing this song into a high tempo drum and bass type trance mix because that isn't the type of work I do. However, I do wish to stay pretty true to the original melody structure and rhythm but in my own style.

Well that is all on that for now. I made serious headway late last night (until 4am) and I hope to have as productive a day or evening today as well.

Wish me well!

Peace,

Anthony Fasolo


No comments: