Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Phewwww!


All is well now.  I've powered up the Fusion and all is peachy.  I've got a small issue with the way it won't keep my banks in the order I want them - but I'll get it straitened out soon.  I cannot begin to tell you just how powerful a machine this thing is.  I've been a bit reticent about it for a bit, especially since I've been concentrating on Logic 8 for the past few months.  My biggest issue has been that I prefer buttons and sliders and very physical means of manipulation with a keyboard and much has changed especially with software driven machines.  This of course makes them capable of much much more than I could have dreamed of affording 20 years ago, but it also means that user interface suffers.  Now of course there are menus, rotary wheels etc.,.   In actuality getting around the menus on the Fusion is pretty easy and quick - an in real time.  It will never be the same as having everything at your fingertips simultaneously, but it is pretty dame good.  

The Fusion had suffered pretty bad press due to bad software bugs in it's initial release, but they seem to be fixed.  Aside from that the initial sound sets were pretty lacking - but I wasn't interested in a rompler, I wanted manipulation and creation.  I get flabbergasted at the moronic comments left on some forums about (it has sucky sounds blah blah blah).  Look if you're going to spend the money to buy such equipment, you had better learn your way around an oscillator or two and not rely on the presets the factory provides - and this machine is powerful.  If you can't tweak a sound to your liking or better yet, create something fabulous of your own - well maybe stick with playing a piano.

Oh,  one last wish - I'd love to mess around with a Virus C someday (do you hear me Santa?)

No comments: