Saturday, March 04, 2006

Messing Around with Matt Black on the Epson 2400


My brief introduction into the world of matt paper via fiber based left me very very non-plussed. I did a test to see just how black the Ilford matt would go and discovered that it was not pleasing to me. However, I've just begun experimenting with the Epson K3 inks and epson matt paper and found out that what they've been claiming seems to be true. The dmax or black is visually darker. I don't even need a special dmax meter or whatever to verify this... I can see it! I did some contact printing today on a few prints on the matt and at first I wasn't all that tickled about it. It was because of the the non reflective nature of matt and not the inks. I've been so used to the richness of glossy that matt has me visually confused. It's as if I'm looking for something in the images and can't find it and I know it's there. So I hung the contact sheet up, away from all the glossy prints I've tacked up to let it stand on it's own. I came back a few hours later with a fresh pair of eyes and I have to say that ! I do like them. The black is black, the white is white. Of course there is little reflective light coming from the paper itself but I'm beginning to see the medium for what it is and appreciating it. I haven't decided in what manner I'll print the final prints in a few weeks, but it's too soon to think about it anyway.

I am very very pleased with this printer. The next deal of course is figuring out a way around the expensive 13ml ink carts that constantly need to be replaced. At about $12 or more a pop, that's alot of mulah!!! I'm checking into refillable carts and using ink drained from the 2400 hundreds bigger sisters ink cartridges that hold 110 or 220 ml respectively. I know Epson doesn't make it's money off of the printers. It makes it off the inks, papers and other stuff. but come on - we do need a bulk ink alternative for the 2400.

No comments: