Friday, March 03, 2006

Photo photo photo

Officially passed the half semester mark and heading into the final half. This has been an adjustment on many levels considereing I haven't been in school since 1991. So far so good. As for my photographic work, we've been handed free reins the rest of semester. I'm returning back to the digital world for my final project with Kirby's blessings (my proff). I'm glad and happy he has a accepting and validating stance on digital. There seems to be so much childish posturing and debate amongst the "traditionalists' and digiheads these days. It's a useless and unproductive argument. They're different mediums and two different ways to approaching a result, with a lot of space for hyrbriding if one chooses. I think traditionalists feel threatened in some way... the defensiveness hurts my ears LOL. Hell, if we reacted the same way to every technological change that came along, we would still be using daguerreatype or grinding botanical pigments and still painting on cave wa! lls. As for my final project this semester, it seems I will be focusing (no pun intended) on the relationships of light and shadow and line. I need to investigate it more. Kirby seems it is something I have a strong handle on and should investigate further, especially in cases where the light source is not seen yet it's result is a major element of the image composition and mood. So I'm returning to digital as of this week. I'll probably continue to shoot in filma nd scan negatives (love it) and work them in PS. Oh by the way. . .I splurged and bought the Epson 2400 and I am very much happy with it. Inks can be expsnesive, but then so is film and it seems to be evening out in many respects when it comes to cost analysis. Taking into consideration the convenience of having and electronic darkroom in my own home as opposed to renting space continually, it actuallay seems much cheaper over the long run.

No comments: